Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Aaron Fry's final service learning blog
My service learning site is at the Monroe YMCA, and I have worked with teenagers on teen night. Which is a night where teens can come to the YMCA and have fun in a safe place. At first I was a little nervous working with teens I was not sure if I would be able to make them obey the rules and have fun both at the same time. I also thought these kids would be spoiled little brats who would be hard to control. But the time I spent around these kids the more I realized that some of them are like the children in Pakistan who come from broken families. For instance there was one kid who I thought was more of a loner and so we hung out for a bit, and instead of being a little brat he turned out to be a pretty cool kid. And we had some fun together. So one thing I learned from these kids is that even though some of them probably came form a broken family does not mean that they are all mean little buggers. They just need someone who will take the time to talk and listen to them. Because of my work schedule I do not know if I will be able to participate in teen night again, but I do hope to help out somewhere in my hometown. I was thinking of volunteering at my churches youth group I am sure there are some kids there who would want my help. I guess I’ll just have to see how that plays out, but thing I have learned from the book as well as the service learning site is that the children of the next generation are our future, so we’d better to our best to educate them
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Aaron,
ReplyDeleteI'm not able to connect with your e-portfolio. Is it just me?
Thanks,
Kevin