Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Aaron Fry's Service Learning Info

Hi everyone. My service learning project will be at the monroe YMCA. In essence the YMCA. is a place where people can go to help them become more heathly through a varity of classes as well as a workout area. It is also a place where teens can come and hangout in a safe and controlled environment.

I will be working with teens of both genders as well as many different cultures. Many who go to the Monreo YMCA are Hispanic, White and Asain, so I will be working with a lot of different ethinic groups.

I have not started working at YMCA yet, but when I do I will have worked in the teen room supervising teens as they hangout with each other and helping them with thier home work when they need it. I will also have helped hosted a varity of games on the teen nights. Which are on saturday nights where I will be surrounded by tons of teens that will be running and screaming all over the place as well as having having lots of fun.

I selected this service learning project because I like working with teens to help them discover the different skills they have as well as to build up thier self-confidence. I hope to learn how to handle not just teens but people in general because it will help me hone my people skills which I will need in my job as a police officer.

If any of you guys want to more about the Monroe YMCA. You can go to thier website at- www.ymca-snoco.org.

2 comments:

  1. Aaron, I will be very interested in following your service learning, as I grew up in Monroe and attended some very similar teen functions. I agree this will be a great pre-requisite to your future career as a police officer. Thanks for giving a peek into your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaron, your the second person that will be working with the teens at the ymca. Like I said to the other person. I work out there daily and if you are doing teen nights. Beware of my 12 year old!!!! It's a great place! I love spending my time there! have fun

    ReplyDelete